Fact: fried chicken pops are some of the best snacks in the world. And for some of us, we got to enjoy them during long breaks in college.
Wake and shake.
The egg white and rice flour coating is what makes it super light and crunchy. The fried chicken pieces are also very flavorful, so you can actually eat them on their own (some of us did). The powders that they use in Tori Box are your usual supermarket flavorings, so go crazy and stock up on all six variants: barbecue, sour cream, cheese, nori, wasabi, and chili. Put the pops and your powder of choice—we made ours with nori— into a clean paper bag, then shake like crazy.
Tori Box Kara-age Pop
- Serves: 2-4 people
- Active time: 1 hr
- Total time: 1 hr
- Difficulty: Easy
- 500g chicken thighs, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 egg whites
- 1 ½ cup rice flour
- Oil, for frying
- Nori powder (or powder of choice)
- Preheat oil in a pot for frying.
- In a large bowl, add the chicken thighs, salt, and egg whites, tossing to coat.
- Add the rice flour and coat chicken using your hands until well covered.
- Shake off excess flour then fry the chicken until golden and crispy, 5-8 minutes.
- Remove from heat and drain on paper towels.
- Serve in a bag with nori seasoning, shaking to coat.