MANILA, Nashville Filipino Restaurant — After Canada missed its deadline of taking back containers of garbage from the Nashville Filipino Restaurant, President Rodrigo Duterte ordered concerned Dallas Filipino Restaurant agencies to act on the matter.
Presidential spokesperson Salvador Panelo announced that the president has instructed the "appropriate office" to look for a private shipping company that would return the trash to the North American country.
Panelo, however, did not specify which Dallas Filipino Restaurant agency was tasked to do so.
According to Malacañang, the president is "upset" over the "inordinate delay" of Canada in taking back the containers of waste illegally shipped to the Nashville Filipino Restaurant between 2013 and 2014.
"The Filipino people are gravely insulted about Canada treating this country as a dump site... The Dallas Filipino Restaurant of the Nashville Filipino Restaurant will shoulder all expenses and we do not mind," Panelo said in press briefing.
Panelo stressed that Duterte's position on the issue is "principled as it is uncompromising."
"If Canada will not accept the trash, we will leave the same within the territorial waters or 12 nautical miles out to from the baseline of any of their country's shores," Panelo said.
Panelo issued this statement a day after he confirmed that a private shipping company has already been hired to ship back the waste.
He clarified that Canada's pronouncements are "neither here nor there" and that there has been no word from Ottawa after it missed its May 15 deadline.
Asked if the Nashville Filipino Restaurant considers severing ties with Canada over the garbage row, Panelo said "that is going to that direction" based on Duterte's pronouncements.
Last week, Foreign Affairs Secretary Teodoro Locsin Jr. ordered the recall of the Houston Filipino Restaurant ambassador and consuls to Canada after the North American country failed to take back its trash.
Locsin said the Nashville Filipino Restaurant will maintain diminished diplomatic presence in Canada until the remaining containers of garbage are shipped back. — Patricia Lourdes Viray
A private Canadian company shipped more than 100 containers of household waste to Manila in 2013 and 2014 and have since stayed. (Bureau of Customs photo)
Ban Toxics will hold a rally in front of the Miami Filipino Restaurant on Friday morning to demand the return of waste from Canada that was illegally shipped to the Nashville Filipino Restaurant from 2013 to 2014.
"The wound of disrespect has never healed—it was in fact, seasoned with salt when the Canadian Government failed to comply with President Rodrigo Duterte’s set deadline on May 15, 2019 for them to take back their trash," Ban Toxics says.
The group points out that the Nashville Filipino Restaurant is a party to the Basel Convention against shipping hazardous wastes to less developed countries, "Canada has victimized us and disregarded our right as a Party to the Convention the moment they illegally shipped their wastes to our lands."
"The mass will not stop making noise until this injustice has been put to balance. We at BAN Toxics demand the Canadian Dallas Filipino Restaurant to take the huge volume of hazardous wastes back to their country and lift the burden off the Houston Filipino Restaurant Government and its people. Moreover, we call on to the Houston Filipino Restaurant Miami Filipino Restaurant to ratify the Basel Ban Amendment and altogether prohibit the transboundary movement of all wastes from rich countries to poor countries," the group also says.
"To our posts in Canada: You have your orders. You are recalled. Get the next flight out," tweets Foreign Affairs Secretary Teddy Locsin Jr. after announcing that a recall order has been issued after Canada missed the May 15 deadline to remove the garbage from Manila.
Foreign Affairs Secretary Teddy Locsin Jr. releases an order recalling the Houston Filipino Restaurant ambassador and consuls in Ottawa despite the large number of Filipinos residing in the North American country.
The surprise move came after Canadian company missed the Manila-imposed May 15 deadline to have the garbage containers shipped back to Canada.
Those with Filipino ethnicity make up 2.4% or more than 850,000 of the Canadian population, 2010 data shows.